Chiricahua Community Health Centers
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medical Assistant I
at Chiricahua Community Health Centers
Reports To: Medical Support Staff Supervisor
Job Summary: Assists provider and clinical staff in the administration of patient care in assigned clinical areas.
Qualifications and Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed and may be modified, interpreted and/or applied in any way as necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Essential Job Duties:
- Identifies patient health care service requirements while being aware of age specific needs and protocols.
- Directs patient to exam rooms, obtains and records accurate routine patient vital signs, prepares patient for examination, and assists in performing procedures, injections and other treatments as ordered by provider.
- Assists provider in examination of patients and gives instructions as directed by provider.
- Fills out appropriate immunization paperwork for recording purposes.
- Answers phone calls and takes messages. Returns patient calls as directed by provider.
- Cleans and prepares rooms between patients and stocks exam rooms.
- Processes referrals, medication refill requests, and coordinates appointments for specific care and diagnostic procedures.
- Acts as a liaison between providers and other care givers.
- Pulls requested charts for messages and documentation.
- Receives reports on patients and delivers them to the appropriate provider.
- Notifies patient of test results when instructed to do so by provider.
- Performs sterilization of instruments and surgical packs in a timely manner.
- Documents and maintains records of verbal and written procedures, medication, delivery of care, and pertinent information regarding patient care services.
- Complies with infection control policies and protocols; follows medication administration, storage procedures and controlled substance regulations.
- Ensures operation of medical equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer’s instructions, reporting malfunctions, requesting repairs, maintaining equipment inventory, and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- When needed, performs lab draws and maintains laboratory documents.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Medical Assistant Certification or Military experience in Medical Assistant Program or Grandfather Clause accepted.
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification required.
- Automobile and valid driver’s license necessary as position may require some travel.
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish may be required based on current staffing patterns, patient population, and/or duty assignment.
- Ability to frequently exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to constantly move about inside the work place to assist patients, operate office or medical equipment, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computer, telephone, other office machinery, and medical equipment.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
- Possesses range of body motion and ability to exert enough force to lift and move adult and pediatric patients.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to perform basic medical math that may include the use of ratio/proportion, dosage calculation, metric and household equivalents, roman numerals, abbreviations, and general math including percentages, etc.
- Ability to gather data in an organized fashion from varied sources.
- Ability to perform variety of assignments requiring independent judgment.
- Ability to resolve challenges and work under pressure.
- Knowledge of health plans and community health centers preferred.
- Knowledge of HIPAA rules and regulations.
- Computer literacy required.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records preferred.
Work Environment & Conditions:
- Work environment is typical of a health clinic setting with occasional exposure to communicable diseases, bodily fluids and hazardous chemicals.
- Work occasionally involves use of medical equipment with proximity to electrical current, and exposure to moving mechanical parts and some hazardous chemicals.
- Work requires occasional travel and flexible hours so that early morning, evenings and weekends are accommodated.