St. Joseph Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Pool Histology Tech
at St. Joseph Medical Center
Reporting to the Lab Manager according to established procedures, prepares tissues for microscopic examination by the Pathologist; by freezing and cutting tissue samples, mounting specimens on slides, and staining or treating tissue with chemicals; in order to reveal specific structural details under microscopic analysis. Mounts and labels slides, and prepares solutions and reagents according to established formulae. Processes specimens as outlined in policies and procedures. Maintains equipment by performing routine maintenance, troubleshooting, cleaning and adjustment.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Receives tissue specimens, identifies same according to established coding schemes and manually logs specimens by recording the time, date, and a variety of patient identification information.
5. Processes specimens as outlined in the policies and procedures. Troubleshoots and corrects any problems.
6. Prepares frozen section specimens, as requested, according to protocol, and charges for them.
7. Cuts and prepares sections of specimens for staining. Stains tissues by selecting appropriate stains. Labels slides with correct information.
8. Runs control slides to ensure that staining is satisfactory for the Pathologist to review and interpret. Troubleshoots and corrects any problems appropriately.
9. Performs special stains on specimens and submitted smears, as requested by the Pathologist; and charges appropriately.
10. Prepares laboratory solutions and reagents according to established procedures and precise formulae, in order to maintain adequate quantities to carry out assignments.
11. Maintains equipment by performing routine maintenance, troubleshooting, cleaning and adjustment.
12. Catalogues and files slides and blocks, and maintains records of activities performed.
13. Maintains knowledge of current trends and techniques in the field by reading appropriate journals, books and other literature and attending related seminars and conferences.
14. Pulls, labels, and packages slides/blocks/specimens to send out for consultation/analysis; processing charges appropriately.
15. Participates in PI activities to enhance/improve operations.
16. Communicates/liaisons appropriately with various individuals to resolve problems, give information, etc.
17. Inventories supplies in an ongoing manner in order to maintain adequate materials to perform the work.
18. Works cooperatively with others, time permitting to accomplish other tasks as needed for the benefit of the Laboratory.
19. Volunteers to fill shift vacancies and accommodates schedule to meet department needs.
20. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by ST. JOSEPH MEDICAL CENTER and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Compliance Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
21. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Current HT or HLT (ASCP) certification
- Recent graduates from approved program within the last 6 months must be certified within 6 months after employment. If certified after 2004 must maintain active credential status to maintain employment.
Education & Training:
- High School diploma or GED
- Graduate from a CAHEA accredited Histology
- Good Histology technical skills
- Critical thinking and good verbal and written communication skills, in order to communicate to Departments, and within the department; and to write test results, reports and other written communications.
- Good interpersonal skills in order to coordinate lab services with Associates in the lab area and in other departments.
- Ability to work under stress in order to perform effectively in the position. Demonstrates flexibility and initiative in workflow management.
- Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision, in order to independently carry out the duties of the position.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge.