The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELOR, SR.
at The Geo Group
Facility: REEVES COUNTY DETENTION III
Compensation Base: $19.47
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Under general guidance this position assists in developing, organizing, and conducting programs to provide treatment for conditions and problems relating to drug and alcohol abuse. Conducts or assists in conducting individual and/or group counseling sessions and instructional programs. Finally, this position serves as a lead and mentor to other Substance Abuse Counselors.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as a lead and mentor to other Substance Abuse Counselors.
- Participates in orientation of inmates regarding the chemical dependency treatment programs and the Substance Abuse Education Program.
- Facilitates and co-facilitates didactic educational presentations, group counseling, and individual counseling sessions.
- Selects and recommends new instructional materials and programs for use in the substance abuse program.
- Maintains knowledge of new developments in the field of substance abuse.
- Maintains a collegian relationship with other substance abuse professionals, programs, and associations.
- Completes required testing, assessment, and psycho-social history on all incoming inmates.
- Develops an individual written program plan for each inmate within his/her assigned case load.
- Completes all required documentation and/or required forms for those inmates who are assigned to his/her case load.
- Assists in the coordination of resident program schedules to ensure the needs of the image and goals set by the Individual Written Program Plan are met.
- Develop discharge plan and provide follow-up on inmates who are released from the program.
- Recruits volunteers to participate in Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous programs.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduated from an accredited college or university with a minimum B.A. degree, preferably in human services or appropriate certification from the state in which the position functions in.
- Two (2) years of experience in chemical dependency treatment in an incarcerate-based setting or an intensive residential program for adult offenders preferred.
- Meets requirements as a Certified Addictions Professional. Any other applicable qualifications required by the state where the position functions.
- Preference given to experience within a correctional setting.
- Working knowledge of the Twelve Step Program of Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner in both individual and group counseling settings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with a team of professionals and implement team strategy approaches to work assignments.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.