YMCA of Greater Long Beach
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Martial Arts/Karate Instructor
at YMCA of Greater Long Beach
The Fairfield Family YMCA in Long Beach is looking for a Martial Arts/Karate Instructor. We are seeking an instructor who can provide an excellent class experience for youth participants while creating a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes wellness and engagement. An instructor with experience teaching young children is desirable. Instructor must enjoy working with children.
Available Schedule: Mondays: 5pm-6pm or 6pm-7pm and Thursdays 5pm-6pm
Primary job responsibilities will include:
- Leads group classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
- Conducts energizing, fun, safe, and educational classes.
- Builds effective relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA.
- Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Provide instruction to members on fitness and well-being.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor
We are looking for a Martial Arts/Karate Instructor who demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the members and participants is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for our members. We embrace new approaches and discovering ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position!
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Skill / Requirements
- Required certifications: CPR, First Aid, and AED.
- One type of national certification (ACE, NETA, AFAA, NASM) in group fitness instruction or YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise certification required.
- Certification in areas of expertise.
- At least one year of experience teaching group wellness classes required.
- Criminal Clearance, Health Exam with TB test, Negative Drug Test Screening.
- Complete Online New Employee Orientation and Child Abuse Prevention Training.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.